Welcome everybody to my commentary


I've got so much talent, it's a little scary

Is my every random thought insightful? Very

Not just entertaining- I'm a luminary

Neil Patrick Harris- Commentary! The Musical





Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The best laid plans

I arrived at work this morning with two files on my desk. Things are starting to slow down before Christmas and I was looking forward to getting a good deal of these jobs done today as they have been sitting there for awhile, and due to some of our bigger clients being incredibly demanding, I just haven't had the time to reach these two jobs.

That was ten to nine.

And five to nine the phone rang. It was a coworker of mine (let's call her Susan) and she wanted to speak to me.

"Hi Susan, how are you?"
"Not good, I won't be in today and probably not for the rest of the week"
"Oh damn, that's a shame, I hope it's nothing to serious"
"No, I'll be fine. Just need a few days bed rest the doctor said"
"Well hopefully you get well soon"
"Thanks, anyway, I'm calling to ask if you could do the wages for me"
"Yeah sure, I'll do that"
"Thanks, I'll see you when I'm better"
"Ok, bye"

Yes, other than her it's only old muggins here who knows how to do these wages. And it's a two day job.

So, I put the two neglected jobs aside for another few days and moved across to Susan's desk for easy access to all of the necessary files and paperwork, smiled, and sunk my teeth in.

That was nine o'clock.

At eleven my boss comes out to me.

"Can you do me a favour?"
"Sure, what do you need?"
"We've got this job ready for the auditors, but can you take a look at this for me, I think we might need to change it"
"Ok, I'm just working on these wages now.."
"That's ok, there's no rush, but the auditors will be here first thing tomorrow"
"Super, it'll be done by then"

For some reason, I was the only one who could be trusted with that job as well.

And so, I left work today with two files on my desk, and after arriving early tomorrow, I bet the same two files will be there at the end of the day (probably with four or five more urgent jobs)

Shining like a diamond, rolling with the dice,
Standing on the ledge, show the wind how to fly.
When the world gets in my face, I say,
Have A Nice Day.
- Bon Jovi ("Have a Nice Day")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you comment, I love you a little more...